Saturday, November 20, 2010

Elderberry Echinacea Syrup

It's cold & flu season.  Are you prepared?

In getting prepared for winter, one of my projects was to make Elderberry & Echinacea syrup.  Here's how:

1/2 cup dried Elderberries
3 Tbsp Echinacea
5 cups distilled water
2 1/2 cups local honey

Bring elderberries & water to a boil.  Cover & simmer for 1 hour.  Add Echinacea.  Steep for another 30 minutes.  Strain through cheesecloth & SQUEEZE to get all the goodness out.

Add honey.

Allow to cool & bottle.

Could anything be easier???

I added a 1/4 cup of brandy to the brew as a preservative.  It will keep for a few months in the refrigerator, and longer in the freezer.  This recipe made 3 bottles, so 2 now live in the freezer. 
The very moment my instincts tell me that I have a risk of catching a cold or the flu, I take 2-3 tsp syrup at least 3 times a day.  If the cold actually catches me, I increase the dose to every 2-3 hours for a couple of days.  In addition to this lovely syrup, I drink garlic, ginger & cayenne tea when at risk of a cold.  

~*Rhi*~
    )O( 

Remember my witchy friends:   *****YOU are responsible for your own health!  If you're taking prescription medications or have chronic illnesses, you MUST consult your doctor, pharmacist or trained herbalist before using herbal remedies!  The herbal info in this blog is about how I & my family use these health-promoting plant allies & is not a substitute for medical care.*****

2 comments:

  1. Is the 3 TBSP Echinacea from the flowers or the root?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used leaf, but you could use root if you put it in at the same time as the berries.

    ReplyDelete