Monday, December 13, 2010

The Winter Vortex

Winter is not my favorite time of year. I used to think I could live in the Northwest, but now know that I NEED sunlight.  When my God of the Sun perpetually hides in the clouds, I start to spiral down into a vortex of melancholy.


As everyone around me gets ramped up & excited about the December holidays, I start to experience:
  • Afternoon slumps with decreased energy and concentration
  • Carbohydrate cravings
  • Decreased interest in work or other activities
  • Increased appetite with weight gain
  • Increased sleep and excessive daytime sleepiness
  • Lack of energy
  • Slow, sluggish, lethargic movement
  • Social withdrawal
Recognize any of these?  They are the classic signs of S.A.D., or Seasonal Affective Disorder.  While my S.A.D. is mild & undiagnosed, it still exists & is often accompanied by:
  • An obsessive need to strangle anyone singing Christmas carols
  • The desire to smack the crap out of those well-meaning bell ringers
  • A huge variety of excuses as to why I cannot attend holiday parties
  • An absolute refusal to decorate my home with an embellished tree
  • A general inclination towards misbehavior 
Personally, I think the last "issue" (inclination towards misbehavior) is probably the one I need to nurture.

Or, maybe Winter is the time I need to slow down, focus on home, sit quietly & meditate.

What if all this angst is because my major totem animals are gone this time of the year?

Hummingbird
Butterfly
Dragonfly
Perhaps it's time to focus on some of my other totem animals:

Jaguar

Wolf
Maybe the meditations of the week will be - "What would Jaguar do?" & "What would Wolf do?"

Off to meditation land!

Wild & Bright (ok, a bit dull) Blessings,

~*Rhi*~
    )O(

4 comments:

  1. I get every one of those SAD symptoms, although I've never been officially diagnosed, either. Strangely, though, I have zero trouble with cheerful people, the decorating, or the carols and bell-ringing around the holidays. I tend to think of this time more as my hibernation period. I withdraw from a lot of my social life in favour of more solitary pursuits. I find it does me a lot of good in the run of the year, even if not many people understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I pretty much stayed in bed and cryed all of November..........I can relate. December 27th cant get here quick enough! I actually am making "Resolutions" this year even though I swore I wouldnt. But, I wont wait till the first of the year to start them....lets go meditate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ellison: Glad to hear that your hibernation period does you good. I think mine probably does too, it's just a matter of rolling with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Suzanne: Yes! Let's meditate!!! Sorry you cried through November. That sucks. I never make "resolutions", but in 2010 I did set some intentions - all but 1 came to fruition! The 1 left...more activity. Maybe New Year Intentions will be an upcoming blog post.

    ReplyDelete