Friday, June 3, 2011

Herbal Shampoo & Conditioner

Using this wonderful template from Mountain Rose, yesterday I created my own herbal shampoo/body wash.

Not only is this healthier & less expensive, the scent & feel is so wonderfully luxurious that I thought I'd share the recipe:

HiddenWitch Herbal Shampoo

8oz distilled water
3oz Castile Soap
1Tbsp dried Nettle
1tsp dried Sage
2tsp dried Basil
2tsp dried Rosemary
20 drops Rose Essential Oil
10 drops Rosemary Essential Oil
1/4 tsp Olive Oil

Make an infusion of the herbs & water - almost boiling water poured over the herbs, cover & allow to sit overnight.  Decant herbs (strain & squeeze out all the goodness from the herbs).  Compost the herbs & reserve the tissane.

Add to the tissane the castile, oil & essential oils & pour into an old shampoo bottle that has been well cleaned. 

Shake before using.

This produces a liquid, not a gel-type soap.  It is very bubbly & smells amazing!

I don't use commercial conditioners, but instead use Queen of Hungary water from the recipe in Rosemary Gladstar's book as a rinse.  This step is really important, because the shampoo opens the follicles of the hair shaft & your hair will feel really dry (clean) & is more fragile in this state.  The vinegar rinse closes the shaft & brings the amazing softness & returns the strength of your hair.

When I'm done, I rinse my hair with lukewarm water & it feels so thick & soft!  Much nicer than any commercial product.

Wild & Bright Blessings,

~*Rhi*~

No comments:

Post a Comment