Practical Magic's message is really that we can celebrate who we truly are. Here are a few of the fun ideas from the movie about not being normal:
Chocolate Cake for Breakfast
Here's a way to celebrate an abnormal day! 5-minute chocolate cake recipe that is "almost no fat" & even has some redeeming nutrition (but, don't for 1 moment think it's healthy!)
1.5 ounce of Petrone (or your favorite tequila)
3 ounces of Master of Mixes Margarita Mix (do NOT get the low sugar one...yuck!)
Shake together & pour into a margarita glass
Top with a swirl of Grand Marier
Magical Tea for Prophetic Dreams
Remember the scene where Sally was writing her letter & the teaspoon was stirring itself? What tea (tisane) was she drinking? Maybe this one:
1tsp mugwort (for dreams)
1tsp catnip (for dreams)
1 tsp chamomile (calming & soothing)
1tsp lemon verbena (relaxing & tastes great!)
Bring a cup of water to near boiling. Pour water over tea leaves (or you may put the ingredients in a tea ball). Stir deosil (clockwise) for a minute & set your intention - for what do you wish an answer? . Allow the brew to sit, covered, for 20-30 minutes (in the light of the moon if possible). Sweeten if desired. Drink slowly, focusing on your intention.
Create your own Spell
One of the best things about the movie is that things always went better for Sally & Gillian when they worked magick from their intuition instead of using the Aunts' Book of Shadows. Here is a simple formula for spell design:
- Reduce the purpose of your spell to a word or short phrase
- Consider whether you may be causing harm by doing the spell (hint...DON'T!)
- Find components that are suited to your goal (candles, herbs, stones...)
- Determine how you will use the components
- Determine the best possible timing
- Create an chant or affirmation (if you desire) that describes your spell's components & purpose
- Cleanse & bless all items to be used
- Consider physical actions that might help support your goal & how you will incorporate them into the spell
- Raise energy & guide it toward your objective, then release it
- Trust in the outcome
- Record your spell & the results
Whatever you do, don't get hung up on a particular herb, stone, or time of the astrological/lunar/weekly timing. These aspects are meant to support your intentions, you are not dependent on them.
Oh, & one more thing...
Always trust your First Initial Feeling!
Now, let's go check our the rest of the blogs on the Practical Magic Block Party!